Trash to Treasure with Decoupage
Turning Trash to Treasure Using Decoupage
Decoupage is the perfect way to breathe new life into old furniture and other household items. Decoupage is simple, affordable, and eco-friendly--and it can be done by anyone. The only thing you need is some patience and creativity!
Finding the right base
Finding the right base is key to successful decoupage. No matter what your talent level or budget is, you can turn trash into treasure!
Decoupage works on any type of furniture: dressers, tables, bookshelves...the possibilities are endless. Look around your home and see if there's anything that needs a little love and could be given new life through decoupage.
- Prep the projectRemove any loose or broken pieces of the item you are preparing for decoupage. If your project is a box, for example, make sure all the parts are intact and that it can stand up on its own.
- Clean the surface to be painted with a degreaser like krud cutter (and be sure to rinse well after using)
- Lightly scuff sand the surface and prime your piece. I prefer water based stain blocker and adhesion all in one. I also apply a min of two coats
- Apply a coat of decoupage medium over the surface area you will be decoupaging using a paintbrush or foam applicator pad- I use Eye Love Hue- Mystic Shell for my medium
- There are many options for decoupage but I prefer using Painting Lady Designs papers where my artwork is on quite a few of them
- Carefully place the paper onto the surface, smoothing out any wrinkles or bubbles. I spray the back of the paper lightly using a continuous mist sprayer to help with the wrinkles- See video here: https://youtu.be/cU7uNZoESRM
- Apply additional layers of the top coat to seal and protect the surface.
- Allow the top coat dry completely before applying any additional paint or finish.
Decoupage is a great way to make trashy old furniture beautiful again.
Decoupage is a great way to make something new from something old. It’s a craft that involves using paper or thin sheets of fabric, gluing them onto an object, and then adding paint or ink to give the final product a unique look.
Decoupage is often used to make into beautiful wall hangings or home decor items such as lamp shades and vases.
Decoupage is also a wonderful way to personalize things that you already have at home by giving them an extra layer of fun design! You can use decoupaged boxes as storage containers in your closet, drawers or even in the kitchen pantry cupboard!
Decoupage is the perfect way to transform trash into treasure! It’s a great way to breathe new life into an old piece of furniture and make it look like something out of a fancy catalog. The best thing about decoupage is how easy it is to get started—you don’t need any special tools or skills; just some creativity and patience will do.